Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shame and emotions


Today at the wounded warrior picnic, I ran after a soldier who looked as though he was trying to hurry away as quickly as possible. When I caught up with him and the woman who was probably his mother, I handed him his flag as he tried to hide his face, which was injured. He looked absolutely ashamed. This man who has fought for my freedoms looked ashamed today because I saw him. What must our soldiers suffer when they come back from duty to fear aesthetic persecution.

I got a little emotional, which is something I try to avoid because emotions have a tendency to cloud judgment. It is so easy at times to think purely intellectually and forget that everything I do has a human consequence. Today made me remember.

Katie Lee, Mississippi

No comments:

Post a Comment