Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Father's remorse


Monday, July 25, 2011, was a day that changed my outlook on life. I had the honor to visit the Walter Reed Hospital and visit with men who put their lives in danger in order to protect my country. I learned that no soldier will ever walk away from a battle without a wound. Either this wound is physically seen or mentally felt; no hero will ever return the same. I was able to talk with a twenty-one year old Marine whose wounds consisted of the loss of both his legs as well as his arm. His positive outlook on life made me for a brief moment forget he was ever hurt. He told me, “Not having legs is a good thing. I can lie down on an airplane seat and stretch out.” I also had the opportunity to talk with his father who was stated, “I myself was a Marine. I never forced my son into the Marines, yet I was ecstatic when I found out he enlisted. Now I am remorseful.” The look in the father’s eyes is one that I will never forget. I asked the son if he regrets ever enlisting. He replied, “Never.” That one man along with all the other heroes fighting for my country are the reason I live in a free nation. Today was the day I can say changed my life. I will never be the same.

Cara Mund, North Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment