Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gratitude

Amara Meyer- NE
Alexandria
Chair of Nationalist Campaign Committee

The first thing I thought when I woke up this morning, "Sleep is soooo nice." Although sleep is nice I had to get up and get ready. I had no idea what to expect but I found out quickly.

This first full day has been mildly overwhelming and extremely busy, but enjoyable nonetheless. On this fine, warm weathered day the Girls Nation traveled to Arlington National Cemetery. As we kept hearing the words "Freedom is Not Free," I thought about what those words meant. I looked out into the vast sea of white and imagined men and women standing at each and every tombstone. Our freedom was paid with their lives. Lives that were fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, and friends. Being at Arlington made me wonder how any American could take our country for granted. The Cemetery gave me a strong sense of gratitude for my country and the people who defend it everyday.

We all have come from different experiences, different backgrounds, and different lifestyles. But, one thing all of the intelligent girls here have in common is the decision to not be ignorant about our government and political systems. This is a quality that is rare among adolescents and one that I find quite refreshing. It is refreshing to know that the future of this country is in the hands of my fellow Girls Nation senators.

No comments:

Post a Comment