Sunday, July 26, 2015

Wally Experiences Tours and Traditions

It’s Day 2 for the senators in Washington, D.C. We started out with a beautiful and solemn tribute to fallen servicemembers at Arlington National Cemetery. Did you know there are more than 400,000 people buried there?! The land used to be General Robert E. Lee’s home, thanks to his wife Mary Custer, but they left it when Lee joined the Confederate Army. The Union Army later took this land to bury their dead, which I’m sure didn’t make Lee too happy.

After our tour, the senators had the privilege of laying the poppy wreath they made at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. You have to be very quiet and show your utmost respect to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, yet were never identified. The guards have a very regimented routine of 21 steps in each direction, which alludes to the twenty-one gun salute, the highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary. The guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year. Can you imagine doing that during a storm?! That’s major dedication!

After our Patriotic Service in the Arlington Memorial Amphitheater, we returned to our temporary home for the start of Senate. I did some light reading and learned all about something called Robert’s Rules of Order. I’ve been told that following these rules can avoid embarrassment, hard feelings, and possibly even legal troubles. Madam President, I rise to a point of order! 

I continue to meet so many wonderful young ladies. The girls here are so smart and talented. They enjoy taking pictures with me, but I think I like it more than they do. Keep watching to find out what tomorrow’s adventures will bring. I have a feeling I’ll get the chance to finally debate my bill!

XO
~Wally


No comments:

Post a Comment