Friday, July 27, 2012

Our Day on Capitol Hill

Today the Mississippi senators were able to meet two senators and two representatives. We had the opportunity to join a family and go on a private tour led by Mississippi’s representative Greg Harper. We were privileged enough to be able to visit the speaker of the house balcony, the chapel, and learn facts that the general public does not know. This was a once in a life opportunity and I would not trade it for the world. Being able to share this experience with my fellow senators from Mississippi made it all the better. That is a day that I will never forget. –Kelly Mitchell, Senator, Mississippi

This afternoon, the Tennessee senators had the opportunity to meet with the U.S. senators from Tennessee. Although the meetings were relatively short, the exhilaration and the content that filled them were overwhelming. I could not help feeling extremely honored at the privilege of meeting such respected members of our government and being able to speak about issues and share personal experiences with them. Today, I had the opportunity to change my perspective of the government. Before, it was a council of men and women whom I had no relation to, especially since I could not yet vote for any of them to hold their offices. However, now I can put a face to the once impersonal organization, a friendly and concerned face that truly wants to consider my opinions. I once thought I knew what career I wanted, yet today I found myself torn between my old passions and my newfound love for congressional procedures. No longer am I sure that I want to pursue journalism; instead, I am seriously considering politics and international diplomacy. This new interest was definitely sparked by my experience today at the Capitol taking in the roles of our senators and the process of the Senate, which I personally listened to. I am taking away so much from my trip to the Capitol today, and I am inspired to be an even more active citizen from today on. Charlene Hong, Senator, Tennessee

Today the NH girls were so blessed to meet with all delegates from NH. We were also very lucky to have such wonderful gentlemen as our Boys Nation “counterparts.” The staffs in each office were so kind and helpful and even provided us with a tour led by an up and coming intern. We got to see the deep dark secrets of Capitol Hill and learn things we never could have imagined. Our day was overall one of the best I have experienced and shared it with the most incredible people. –Samantha Hutchins, Senator, New Hampshire

As Senate Chaplain, I would like to post a prayer for my blog post.
Dear Lord,
I cannot even express how much this week has changed my life. It has shown me that there are many beautiful, intelligent, ambitious young women in the country, just like myself. I have learned so much about government, others’ opinions, and I’ve learned a lot about myself. I pray that you give each and every one of these women much success in their future, whatever it holds. Never will I forget my week at Girls Nation, and I thank the Lord for this blessing of an opportunity.
Amen
-Desiree Bartels, Senate Chaplain, Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment