Monday, July 24, 2017

Iowa Senator Turns Detours Into Learning Experiences


     Only one day into ALA Girls Nation and I know that my life has already been changed. I am Olivia Cowart from Iowa, and I have never had the opportunity to come out this far east to our Nation’s Capital – let alone be surrounded by so many inspiring girls.

     It was truly an emotional experience watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I thought of all the people buried in Arlington National Cemetery – people I have never met nor heard of – but how we were connected by one overarching passion for freedom and unity.

     Through my ALA Girls State and, so far, ALA Girls Nation experience, there have been detours that seem to arise out of nowhere. From what I have learned, government is not an easy topic. People are passionate about what they believe in and also have the intelligence to communicate their ideas effectively, which is what makes this experience so difficult. But, that is also the heart of what makes this experience so life changing. To be surrounded by girls who possess grace, passion, and critical thinking skills for real life topics is something I don’t get to experience much back home. So, I value being able to have this experience, but what I value even more is to be able to be seen as a girl worthy of being here. It is truly incredible to be able to participate, be heard, questioned, and understood. That’s where I feel I change most as a person – by being able to contribute to this great experience.

Olivia Cowart
Iowa
Spring Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment