Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Holocaust Museum Stirs Senator to Act

     The Holocaust museum was a powerful, heavy-hitting experience. The museum forces you to empathize with the survivors and victims, and puts you in their place. This creates an environment that is somber; nonetheless, the lessons that the experience teaches you and things you learn about yourself from the museum are poignant and important. Personally, after my time at the Holocaust Museum, I was even more passionate about the rights of the individual and my belief in fair and impartial application of the law.

     These beliefs were perfectly tied into the resolution I presented before the Senate later in the day. My co-senator and I delegated the task of presentation and debate – I handled the debating and the rebuttal, whereas she was the speaker and presenter. It worked extremely well for us. She was able to present a compelling introductory speech as to why our resolution (which was expressing the will of the Senate that the rights of privacy and due process are to be upheld and we should discourage acts that infringe upon these rights) should be passed. As senators who disagreed with our resolution questioned and argued, I was able to rebut their points through logic and evidence. Our resolution ended up passing 78-20-2, the highest amount of affirmative votes on a resolution bill thus far! Other girls presented bills about holidays and vaccinations, which also passed. We finished up the day with reflections; this was a meaningful and beautiful time of reflection and bonding among the citizens of my community.

Sophie Boulter
Ohio
Chevy Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment